Horse Issues And Trading: Some Similarities

By Darrell Martin

This morning I talked with a friend, Sierra, (all names have been changed) who was having some horse issues. A “professional” trainer, Cheyenne, recently ostracized her by telling Sierra that she needed to allow her to take her horse and fix it. If Sierra wouldn’t agree to that, Cheyenne told her that she needed to at least let her train her to be a better rider using her company’s methods. Cheyenne also told Sierra to stop using the saddle she had and to look at her saddle. It would probably work out better for her and her horse. Oh Brother!

When talking with my horse friends, I always start out with my typical disclaimer. “I am no pro,” but I have been around (and schooled by) some of the true legends. I have watched some of the others who are “legends in their OWN minds!”

However, Sierra had felt so shamed by the barrel trainer that I thought I would give her the following advice. This is advice that has been given to me over many years. So, here it is:

In my opinion, there is no one out there with the ONE-STEP method for any horse. This is just not done. There are conventional methods that have worked time and again. Those methods all seem to have one common goal and that is to get your horse BROKE.

Once your horse is BROKE, you can pretty much do any darn thing you want. The best old-school trainers I know have all followed a mutual path for accomplishing the breaking of a horse:

• Keep it simple

• Patience is the virtue

• Remember that a horse changes with age

• Never say that your horse “won’t”

• Don’t add pressure on top of tension

• Learning is for a lifetime

When you think about a horse who has been broke, it is not a horse that you are just able to put a saddle on and mount. A horse that is truly broken must meet these basics:

• Face me

• Put its head down for the halter

• Stand quietly when tied

• Be confident with surroundings, including flags, tarps, banners, etc.

• Stay off me and out of my space

• Don’t drag when I lead

• Allow me, as the rider to make decisions about speed and direction.

All of the above can be taught by almost anyone with TIME and PATIENCE. However, if these are attributes you don’t possess, it may be better for you to pick a horse better suited to your needs and skills. Another thing to consider is the way in which a horse was “broke-in” during his formative years. This sets the tone for how that horse reacts to you and to training. The horse may have some issues you weren’t aware of, but since they are intelligent and willing animals (for the most part), you can work past some things. There is such a thing as a ruined horse. I’ve seen them and know they are not for the weak of heart.

Finally, don’t listen to someone just because his or her name is on a buckle, trailer or saddle. Chances are they have not sat on YOUR horse (yet). Their one-method fix may not be right for you and your horse. Those people are great at their game.

However, in my opinion, the best trainers aren’t always the ones you see driving up and down the highway in their decorated trailers or hear about in the news. Having been involved in the racing game over the years, I’ve learned that some of the best are only as good as their barn helpers and exercise jockeys.

Bottom line: Keep it simple. Keep it real. Get your horse broke. Stop listening to the rhetoric and realize that everything “new” is not always the best or the worst. It’s just new. The old ways have been working for years, so don’t be ashamed if you don’t adhere to the “new age” training theories. In my opinion, never stop learning – you or your horse.

As traders, we’re a little like the horse and the rider. In some ways, we need to be “BROKE.” Not in the way of losing our accounts, but being confident in our surroundings, not letting the changes in the market sway us from following the rules of our system. Sometimes, we have to stay out our own space, not hesitate when a trade is perfectly set up (don’t drag when I lead) and allow ourselves to make the decisions (about entry, exit, direction, strategy, market, etc.)

The old-school trainer rules apply to traders, as well.

• Keep it simple

• Have patience

• Know that markets change

• Never say your market, system, strategy, etc., “won’t”

• Don’t add pressure on top of tension

• Learning is for a lifetime (keep learning)

Trading can be learned with time and patience. Different strategies can be used that suit your needs and skill level.

Just as the barn helpers and exercise jockeys are important in the training of horses, mentors and coaches are valuable in the training of traders. Ongoing education contributes to your lifetime of learning. To give yourself the best chance of being the best trader you can be, never stop learning.