Potential Apex OTM Binary Trade System Using Deviation Levels

Darrell- as I was waiting for jury duty today, a thought occurred to me about the C and C’ trades that were not profitable. If they are non-profitable since there are so many times that the underlying reaches the strike entry, could we not instead of doing an ITM, do an OTM binary, figure out what the average move is and set that average move price as the take profit? So, for example, if I could buy a strike above the E entry for $10, and sell for $20.

My question is how to model price behavior OTM? Do I do it the same as I did for ITM, but how to reflect time decay? Isn’t there a big difference in price OTM from morning to afternoon?

Also, along this idea, couldn’t one figure out the average move in a day, and then buy/sell OTM strikes on either side, and set take profits based on that average move?

Brad

Yes that is what I mentioned in post 57

Yes price does vary based on distance time and iv so you would need to track intervals of price based on distance from strike and time to expiration to build a Pl model

Sorry DM - I missed that part of your comment…nice to know that I am learning from you though…sign of a great teach!!!

I’ll take the data this week, and try to build a model later this week.

Brad

No worries when I read the comment I could tell you missed the post but it was awesome you already had the answer on your own great job!!!

I have a question, maybe you guys already thought of it and know why this wouldn’t work. If the C trades at let’s say 91% and the C’ Prime trades at 89% on a certain instrument, then why not put on both trades simultaneously and Butterfly that bad boy. Again, I just read this post this morning, so I have no idea why it would or wouldn’t work. I’m just curious.

Wouldn’t it make sense if you can get filled at both +/- deviation levels for about $80 - $20, that it would at least help hedge the trade and increase the profit in the 9 - 11% chance that it reaches either of the strikes. Assuming you’ll Close the Loser at $50.

Ultimatrader- that is essentially what Strategy 2 B is, layering a trade in. The idea was to put the trades on automatically when the trade is triggered, and then only worry about getting out at $50. The issue is that when the markets become more volatile (i.e. hitting strike (or what i call reached in the spreadsheet) then you are getting on the wrong side of the profit curve. I.e. you are risking $30 to make $20. Too many losers and your account is a loser.

One of the reasons that I put the high and low of each type of trade (P, SP, LP) was so people could do their own risk/reward to see if they are comfortable with what they see. If it works for you that’s great, I am just naturally a little more conservative. I am more the 2A type strategy. But, I tried to gather as much data as possible so people can use it various ways.

One of the things that I am working on now is how to make the TF, NQ and ES to be more profitable by using OTM binaries instead of ITM.

If you decide to try that out, demo it and post the results here…

Happy Trading! Brad

(data thru 10/25) Wins Total Trades Probability

YM C Trades 70 76 92.1 YM C’ Trades 71 76 93.4

TF C Trades 81 99 81.8 TF C’ Trades 86 99 86.9

NQ C Trades 55 62 88.7 NQ C’ Trades 55 62 88.7

ES C Trades 38 48 79.2 ES C’ Trades 44 48 91.7

STRAT 1 STRAT 2 OPT A OPT B OPT A OPT B 550.0 190.5 675.0 481.5 (YM C Trades) 150.0 106.5 175.0 73.5 (YM C’ Trades)

-400.0 -2731.8 225.0 -1060.3 (TF C Trades) -325.0 -1782.3 100.0 52.3 (TF C’ Trades)

50.0 -472.5 250.0 54.0 (NQ C Trades) 50.0 -76.3 175.0 222.5 (NQ C’ Trades)

-425.0 -1417.5 -25.0 -231.5 (ES C Trades) 200.0 132.0 175.0 298.5 (ES C’ Trades)

Folks - here is the data updated through 25 OCT. The spreadsheet will be posted separately.

I am working on an offshoot strategy to try and get TF and ES to be profitable on the Strat 2 side (exit when strike is hit) by using OTM binaries instead of ITM. I’ll post that when I am finished (hopefully this week…)

Some of you are offering to help on other instruments, and I appreciate it. I am putting together an instruction sheet to make it easier, unfortunately I have been busy the last couple of weeks. I hope to finish it this week.

Brad

Here is the updated xls by Brad: http://apexinvesting.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/UPDATE-INDICES-TEST-4.xlsx

I missed it, what does (P, SP, LP) Stand for?

It was just a way to characterize how the market behaved so I could build a profitability model.

So, LP means that the there was only a little premium, only small amount of profit potential.

SP means that there was some premium, the underlying moved more than LP but less than 1/4 deviation level.

P means that there was premium, then underlying moved at least 1/4 deviation level.

Here “http://www.screencast.com/users/dca78_00/folders/Jing/media/5998c179-ec36-49b3-b2dd-192e0f3a5544” is a screenshot of what I was trying to do…

Folks - here is the updated data for YM, TF and NQ through 11/15. I will do ES Monday and post it with the full spreadsheet then.

YM C Trades - 82/94, 87.2%; STRAT1 - OPTA $200, OPT B -$989; STRAT2- OPTA $550, OPTB -$59 YM C’ Trades - 88/94, 93.6%; STRAT1 - OPTA $175, OPT B $160; STRAT2- OPTA $200, OPTB $103

TF C Trades - 95/117, 81.2%; STRAT1 - OPTA -$475, OPT B -$3379.50; STRAT2- OPTA $275, OPTB -$1388.50 TF C’ Trades - 102/117, 87.2%; STRAT1 - OPTA -$425, OPT B -$2050.8; STRAT2- OPTA $50, OPTB $28.80

NQ C Trades - 69/83, 83.1%; STRAT1 - OPTA -$400, OPT B -$1898.50; STRAT2- OPTA $150, OPTB -$322 NQ C’ Trades - 72/83, 86.7%; STRAT1 - OPTA $200, OPT B -$428; STRAT2- OPTA $150, OPTB $169.50

Enjoy, Brad

Here is the ES data thru 11/15:

ES C Trades - 54/71, 76.1%; STRAT1 - OPTA -$875, OPT B -$2701; STRAT2- OPTA -$175, OPTB -$622 ES C’ Trades - 62/71, 87.3%; STRAT1 - OPTA -$50, OPT B -$657; STRAT2- OPTA $100, OPTB $192

Some of these look really bad (-$2700), but I am working on an offshoot of this where instead of buying/selling ITM binaries, the strategy would buy/sell OTM looking to capture theses volatile moves when the underlying reaches the entry strike price. It would be the similar to buying/selling OTM for GAP fill trades. I hope to get that out this week so you can see it…

Happy trading! Brad

Thanks, Brad!

This week in the trade room I saw that there are people are demo’ing this strategy, but not quite correctly. I can understand the confusion, as it has morphed quite a bit from its inception. So, I thought that I would write up a quick strategy execution so people can try it out themselves. Keep in mind that this is just what I came up, and if you see something else that might work, please post here… Set-up:

This strategy is for the US indices only, testing has not been done on other instruments. In basic terms, this strategy buys/sells ITM binaries 1/2 deviation above and below our trade trigger.

Place either a box or a line at +/-25% of the daily strike width on the 1/2 deviation levels (at -2, -1.5, -1.0, -.5, Settlement, .5, 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0) On YM, this is 5 ticks above and 5 ticks below. On TF this is .5 above and below. On NQ this is 1 above and below, and ES is .75 above and below.

Trade trigger:

The range constructed in the set-up is used to determine if there is a valid entry trigger. When there is a 3 tick breakout of an E bar, inside this range, then that is a valid entry trigger. Not every E breakout is valid for this strategy, only those that occur in the range.

Trade types:

There are 2 types of trades with this strategy, C and C’. On a green APEX entry, the C trade would be selling the higher strike, on a red APEX entry the C trade is buying the lower strike. On a green APEX entry, the C’ trade is buying the lower strike, on a red APEX entry the C’ trade is selling the higher strike.

Implementation:

So, if we get a valid trade trigger, we do the following:

1. Figure out what the 1/2 deviation strike levels are above and below our entry. If our entry is at Settlement, then we would be looking at the .5 deviation level as our higher level and the -.5 deviation level as our lower level. Ideally, you want a strike that is within the range we drew earlier. If a strike isn’t in the range, then you would want to pick a strike that is closest to the range, but farther away from the entry. Ideal - trigger->inner range->strike->outer range Less Ideal - trigger->range->strike Incorrect - trigger->strike->range

2. Decide if we want to take only C trades, C’ trades or both.

3. Decide which trade implementation strategy we want to use.

There are 2 strategies each with 2 options. The strategies are Strategy 1 (we stay in the trade regardless of what the underlying does) and Strategy 2 (we exit the trade if the underlying reaches our strike).

The options are the same on both strategies. Option A is to place a single trade on when our trade is triggered, for a $25 profit potential (sell at $25, but at $75) This would be a working order when you place it as the underlying is a distance from our strike. Option B would be to place 3 trades on when the trade is triggered according to the P, SP and LP prices in the spreadsheet. Refer to Post # 70 in this thread for a discussion of the different layers. My personal feelings are that Strategy 2 (exiting when strike hit) and Option A (single trade) is the best method.

1. Place trades and monitor for possible exit.

This is what I have come up with… as you can see in the numbers some instruments are better than others. I am now working on doing the opposite (using OTM binaries on those Indices where the ITM doesn’t work well because the underlying hit our strike price too many times).

So, I hope this clears things up a bit. If not please ask me, or find me in the trade room…

Happy Trading!!!

Brad

Folks - here is the updated data for YM, TF, NQ and ES through 12/6.

YM C Trades - 97/110, 88.2%; STRAT1 - OPTA: $200, OPT B: -$939.5; STRAT2- OPTA: $575, OPTB: -$53.5 YM C’ Trades - 104/110, 94.5%; STRAT1 - OPTA $275, OPT B $458; STRAT2- OPTA $225, OPTB $140

TF C Trades - 115/139, 82.7%; STRAT1 - OPTA: -$350, OPT B: -$3447.80; STRAT2- OPTA: $375, OPTB: -$1624.3 TF C’ Trades - 119/139, 85.6%; STRAT1 - OPTA: -$600, OPT B: -$2947.50; STRAT2- OPTA: $0, OPTB: -$255.50

NQ C Trades - 78/95, 82.1%; STRAT1 - OPTA: -$425, OPT B: -$2345.30; STRAT2- OPTA: $275, OPTB: -$318.80 NQ C’ Trades - 83/95, 87.4%; STRAT1 - OPTA: -$75, OPT B: -$387; STRAT2- OPTA: $225, OPTB: $330

ES C Trades - 61/79, 77.2%; STRAT1 - OPTA: -$950, OPT B: -$2809.50; STRAT2- OPTA: -$200, OPTB: -$580 ES C’ Trades - 70/79, 88.6%; STRAT1 - OPTA: $50, OPT B: -$467; STRAT2- OPTA: $175, OPTB: $324.50

Enjoy, Brad

updated stats xls from brad: http://apexinvesting.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/UPDATE-INDICES-TEST-5.xlsx

Folks - I have finally gotten the directions and template together for others who want to try out this testing on other instruments. I tried to write the directions and collection methods instructions out as fully as possible. If you have questions, by all means ask.

Overview of strategy:

This strategy is about the 3rd or 4th evolution of a proposed idea I had months ago. As I tested, and received Darrell’s guidance, it has morphed into what it is now…a decent strategy that is fairly automatic and has multiple permutations of taking trades.

The original impetus of this strategy was that I was looking at charts and the diagnostic deviation lines. I was focusing on the YM charts (just what I happened to be trading at the time) and noticed that there seemed to be a pattern developing when the regular APEX entry (3 tick breakout of E) occurred near a deviation level, in that a majority of the time, the underlying closed above (on a sell) or below (on a buy) the next half deviation level.

With that idea in mind, I wanted to try and develop a standard way of testing this that adhered to the normal rules of APEX pattern trading. So, I decided to put the following constraints on the entry: the entry had to be during a defined time (0800 ET to 1615ET), it had to be within a defined distance from the half deviation levels (essentially any deviation level other than the +/- .7 levels, including using the Settlement price as an entry level). That defined distance is +/- 25% of the daily strike width from a half deviation level. For example, YM daily binary strike width is 20 ticks, the “zone” is =/- 5 ticks around the dev levels.

What emerged is the APEX C and APEX C’ strategy.

The C strategy is SELLING an ITM strike .5 deviation ABOVE a valid GREEN APEX entry, or BUYING an ITM strike .5 deviation BELOW a valid RED APEX entry. A C trade is essentially saying that the trend of the trade will not go past the .5 deviation before it loses momentum. Here “http://www.screencast.com/users/dca78_00/folders/Jing/media/db7a1887-ef24-4975-9d11-6f9b19a1ed1f” is what it looks like. Disregard the writing in the boxes.

After some testing, it was realized that there was a valid reason to do the opposite trade as well, which is the C’ trade. The C’ strategy is BUYING an ITM strike .5 deviation BELOW a valid GREEN APEX entry, or SELLING an ITM strike .5 deviation ABOVE a valid RED APEX entry. This is the opposite of the previous screentshot.

Combining this strategy in essence becomes a butterfly binary strategy at strikes .5 deviation away from a valid entry.

Testing:

In order to do a proper testing of this system, I had to find a method of characterizing the behavior of the underlying instrument. That is where the LP, SP and P come into play. The LP is a characterization that the underlying never really moves towards our strike; it either hangs around our entry level or turns around and goes the opposite way. The LP characterization means that there is only a Little Premium in the trade. The SP premium means that the underlying has moved in our desired direction, but less than .25 deviation. The SP characterization means that there is Some Premium in the trade. The P characterization means that the underlying has moved at least .25 deviation in our direction. The P characterization means that there is Premium in our trade “http://www.screencast.com/users/dca78_00/folders/Jing/media/5998c179-ec36-49b3-b2dd-192e0f3a5544” .

The other data point that was needed to collect is the number of times the underlying “reached” our contract strike. This is the same as exiting an ITM binary when the underlying hits your strike price. As you can see in some of the data, a high reached number adversely affects profitability.

I made a spreadsheet that does all of the probability and profitability calculations. All that is required is to input the values into the columns on the left side of the spreadsheet that have a yellow box above them in row 1. There is a legend for what values to input on the bottom right of the spreadsheet under the profitability fields. Then on the probability and profitability side (right) the boxes that have to be filled in are the yellow boxes. The others automatically calculate for you.

In the beginning, I would recommend gathering just the probability data. Figure out what “regular” trading hour are for the instrument. For example FX pairs trade 24/5, but the majority of EUR/USD trading should be from London open to US close. That may change depending upon your expertise with the instrument and further testing. For example I found moving my “window” a little to the left of the US open I got some decent additional trades without unnecessary risks.

In order to get profitability you should gather a week’s worth of binary price data for your instruments. I took a screenshot of the price ladder every hour during the times I set, and then averaged the price out for each of the zones. Then I also recorded, the highest price paid for each zone, and the lowest price paid for each zone. Those 3 values for each zone are recorded into the profitability section (yellow boxes) and the sheet will do the calculations.

There are essentially two different strategic ways to trade this system, with two options each. When trading this system, you can either decide you are going to stay in a trade (Strategy 1) or you can exit when the underlying hits your strike (strategy 2). Then, under each, you can either place one $25 (buy at $75, sell at $25) trade when you get the signal, or try to capture the different layers by placing a trade for each of the layers (LP, SP, and P). So, in Strategy 1, Option A, when the trade is triggered I would place a working order trade for $25, and then let it ride. In contrast, if I was doing Strategy 2, Option A, I would put the same order in, and then babysit it looking to exit when the underlying hits the strike ($50). If I was doing Strategy 1, Option B, when the trade is triggered I would place a working order at each of the AVG risk levels values that I figured out from the binary price ladder and let it go until expiration. If I was doing Strategy 2, Option2, then I would do the same, but babysit it looking to exit when the underlying hits the strike ($50).

That should do it, if anyone would like to test this system out for themselves on other instruments. Results should be shared in the forum in this thread. As you will find out this doesn’t work as well on some instruments that “reach” more than others. Right now I am working on testing a follow on strategy that Darrell helped me with. Instead of buying/selling ITM binaries like we do here, I am testing buying/selling OTM binaries on the instruments that have high “reach” rates. The data collected in the spreadsheet is all that is needed to do both types. You just have to do another binary price ladder test on the OTM side. When I get that done I will post that here as well.

So, I hope some of you decide to help test this. I have tried to make the data collection as painless as possible (believe me when I say it was PAINFULL before).

If some of you decide that you would like to work on other instruments, take the spreadsheet, and let us know in the forum which instrument(s) you are going to work on to prevent duplication.

On a personal note, I would recommend doing this or making your own system. Really dig into it because your level of understanding of how binaries and the markets work is greatly improved after this type of work.

Happy trading!!! Brad

Here is XLS FROM BRAD: http://apexinvesting.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/TEMPLATE.xlsx

This is an indicator I wrote to plot percentage of strike width zones around the .5 D intervals as described in Brad’s strategy. After installation, you must enter the NADEX daily strike width, ensuring that the decimal is correctly entered for each instrument. The default percentage is 25%, but it can be changed.

NADEX strike widths:

Stock Index Contracts

Forex Contracts

Commodity Contracts

DiagDevStrkZns.zip (60.2 KB)

All - there has been some interest in this strategy and how it would perform on other instruments. This indicator that Mark developed makes it much easier to collect the data than plotting the 25% lines around the deviation levels.

If anyone would like to test this strategy on other instruments, I have written instructions in Post #76. If you have questions about it, by all means send me a message in the forum or find me in the Elite trade room. If you decide to try an instrument, post results here…

As you may notice this doesn’t work too well on some of the indices. I am working on testing the validity of buying/selling an OTM binary rather than an ITM like the C and C’ trades. When I finish it, I will post the data and spreadsheet.

Again, thanks and kudos to Mark for building this indicator for this. :smiley:

Happy trading!!!

Brad

Brad,

Admittedly I haven’t thoroughly read every post, so this may be redundant - have you tested filtering trade using the deviation (range) indicator? For example, only counter-trend trade after it’s >75% or >100%?

Mark

Mark - no I haven’t. It hadn’t been developed when I started this. The only thing I am working on now, is buying/selling OTM binaries on those instruments that are more “volatile” in that they reach the strike more…

Brad