Trading Trend Catcher using Chop Filter with Spreads

The Trend Catcher system using the Chop Filter is used the same in spreads as it is in futures. The settings are the same and the entries are the same. If you have not already, please go through the webinar at the top of this link, please take the time to do it now. All the details you need to trade this system will be found in the following post.

http://apexinvesting.net/forum/futures-forex-spreads-trend-catcher-chop-filter-new-446/how-apply-trend-catcher-chop-filter-indicator-chart-trading-rules-help-filter-out-chop-3203.html#post10337

What Markets Will Work & A Note of Caution on Specific Markets: You can use this on all markets, but special caution should be given to the following markets: Silver, Copper, FDAX and FTSE. These specific markets on Nadex all tick slower on the Nadex spreads than the underlying market.

Why does this matter? If you choose to select these spreads, you will see little profit and little loss on larger moves. So unless you are either looking for just a super low risk/low profit, live practice spread or unless you plan on trading a large amount of size, these spreads on these markets are probably best avoided. DAX ticks in 0.5 at the value of 14.00 US or 12.50 eur, so 1.0 move is about $28 USD. Nadex Dax spreads tick in 1.0; so on that same move you would make $1.00. Either be doing more or don’t trade them. They are not “bad” to trade, you just have to do more size on them to make the movement worth it. So if you don’t like the Dax being worth $28/point and you do not want to put up $2500 in a day trading margin to trade it, you could trade 5 or 10 of them and make the tick/point value $5.00 ($1.00/tick x 5 ticks) versus $28. Just be aware that if you see it really move, you may only have made $10.

How to choose the spread: Use the Spread Scanner:

Time Till Expiration: Set time to expiration to be a minimum amount that will basically eliminate all the other spreads. For example if its 10 AM set it to be a minimum of 120 minutes till expiration so you only see the 4:15 PM Spreads on say Small Cap 2000. This is important!

Also remember if your only 2 hours away from the say 4:15 expiration on a US Indice, you will need to remove this minimum time filter or you won’t see anything as they will all expire in 2 hours or less.

Chose only the end-of-day expirations, i.e., 4:15 on US Indices, 3 PM on fx, 2:30 on oil, 1:30 on gold, etc.

If you are not sure what the latest expiration is, click reset filters and look at the latest expiration time for that instrument and you will know.

Proximity

Trade the ones within +5 to -5 proximity from the underlying. There will only be 1 or 2 choices. If you do this, it is super easy. Find the spread with the most profit potential where the market is closer to the center of the spread. Choosing this spread will allow you to not have to deal with the weird “optionality” that causes spreads to slow down when they are moving in your favor. That way you can mirror the futures markets. With the spreads you can do quantities of 1, 3, 10 or 20 so you control the tick value as each tick is $1.00 a tick/pip on all spreads; so if you want to risk $3 a tick/pip, do 3 spreads. You want to find one with decent profit potential since it moves very slow when it is near the edges of the spread. Buy it when the chart gives you a buy entry and sell it back when the chart tells you there is a sell entry. It will move along with the underlying.

In the image above, you will see 3 possibilities for a sell setup for crude oil.
Contract 1 has the same expiration time and same proximity same (MAX) risk but less profit. Contract 2 is better than 1 easily. Contract 3 is preferred do to the 30% rule. It has more room, more profit and more time if it moves fast. If account has $500, you can still do this one, remember stop trigger risk is like $35-40 on a 12-tick bar

Risk/Reward Ratio

Enter .70 as the minimum risk to reward ratio to help ensure you are choosing a spread with plenty of profit potential before it runs into optionality. Ideally the Risk/Reward Ratio is closer to a .80 or higher, but by using .7 it allows you to see the choices available without them appearing and disappearing off the scanner due to just a few ticks.

Planned Risk Versus Max Risk

Most traders when they do this see, “wow, a max risk of $100, $200, $400,” and freak out a bit on 1 contract.

It is important to understand 3 things:

Just like we know the market would have to move a ton to get that max risk on these wider spreads, it would also have to move a ton to suffer that max loss. This is nothing like a binary where a tick or two means all or nothing.

We plan on exiting per the stop trailing rules in Trend Catcher. This means that we should expect a loss of about 35-40 ticks and often less on a losing trade. So this is the expected risk versus max risk. Traders easily risk $35-$40 on a binary, thats nothing on a future. So look at your expected risk by exiting via the system rules not the “margin” aka max risk.

This is the MAX risk. This means if the market flew the maximum distance against you and you NEVER closed the contract, then yes, that would be the max risk. Think flash crash or CHF unpegging the EUR/CHF, etc. Remember in futures and spot forex you basically have no max risk. except down to 0 of the total value of the contract. Which can be $120,000 on a single future. It is improbable to expect Gold to drop to 0 on GC Futures. Margin is there to help protect you from owing the broker if it does move against you fast. It can move way further and you still can end up owing money, that is called a margin call. This will NEVER happen on Nadex as your “margin” is your max risk and your risk will NEVER increase past that max risk which is 100% defined up front. So in a worst case world blows up scenario you know the max risk even if you plan on not taking it as you plan on exiting earlier than the max risk per the system rules should the market move against you.

Use The Stop Trigger To Manage Risk (and even entries)

The market can move fast. It is wise to put up the stop trigger indicative based on where your stop loss is located and then trail it with your trailing stop by adjusting the indicative. You can always cancel it and get out at market, etc. But its good to have it there in case you look away for a split second at another chart, email or answer cell phone, etc., and miss moving manually exiting, you have that trailing stop/stop trigger in there helping you. Simply click the exit icon on the scanner then choose stop trigger and enter the indicative of the initial stop. Then adjust that each time the TC moves, a swing bar happens, TC moves again or, of course, if it flips to exit and goes the other direction.

Below is an example of a trade Darrell was in using TC in spreads with the Stop Trigger working.

To see the spread settlement calculation, see the image below:

For additional education see also basic Nadex education on the platform and spreads under education in the forum as well as scanner education and stop plug-in course under scanner.

Trend Trading with Spreads

This was the best article I have read and helped me have a great day. Even as slow it was I still made $50. Only in demo but it was exciting. Read this article over and over and click on all the links for more information that was very helpful in my trading. Thanks Darrell and lh541

Hey quick questions, since NQ ticks in .25 and .1 on nadex you stop would be 14 ticks with .25 from the chart or .1 ticks from which nadex ticks in?

That’s a good question rajaho, I was wondering the same thing the other day. I guess it really depends on your risk strategy but I would imagine 28 tick stop loss, or around there, for NADEX spreads might work. I don’t know, hopefully Darrel or anyone else using TC with NQ spreads can chime in and give us an idea.

Hi, just a quick disclaimer to let you know that I am new at this, but I did want to share since I too have been practicing with NQ 12 ticks and spreads. The way I have been doing it is basically following all the rules on the futures data and then just apply the trades on the spreads. I heard Darrell say that in order to mimic the futures market on spreads you need to follow the underlying market. So with that being said, I do everything based on the futures market because those are the charts we are working with. I use the 14 tick stop off the .25 tick on the futures. I recommend you to use the “stop trigger function” when placing the orders. This has proven to be extremely useful because there is a space there to fill in the underlying market price…do not get carried away with the price of the spread and the .1 ticks of the spread…you need to pay attention to the UNDERLYING. Also, choose the spread that is closest in proximity to the underlying. This can be easily seen at a glance in a column using the “Spread Scanner”.

So just to express what I am trying to say, I will use an example. If you are looking to get in on a LONG trade at the price of NQ on the Futures market at 4505.00, you would open your stop trigger order and place a buy at 4505.00 on the underlying, so when the market hits that price it will process the order at whatever price the spread is at during that time (this is why you want a spread close in proximity to the underlying to mimic the market). Then you place your stop 14 ticks below according to the futures maket. In this case it would be 4501.50 (14 ticks away from the entry of 4505 using the increments of .25 ticks on the futures market).

I hope this helps. Everyone is welcomed to chime in and correct me.

That makes sense lionking, thanks for the info.

Thanks a lot as always

Hi Lionking. When you mentioned opening the stop trigger order and putiing the underlying price in it, do you mean putting that price in the “trigger price” box, correct? What Do you imput for market offset and worst limit. Thx. For the help. i’m really interested in working with TC and the spreads but I’m having a hard time understanting how to open and close them quickly as you would do with the futures

Yes, you are correct. It says Trigger Price ______ on indicative index. So here is where you would input the entry price according to the futures market price as the rules state in the trendcatcher. With regards to the maket offset and worst limit, I leave that the way it is. I just concentrate on the trigger price and the size of contracts.

The timing is a bit tricky. I had issues with it as well, but you need to have your charts up and visible and get the orders ready. So one of the ways that I got around it is to get everything ready just waiting for a click…the bar sizer helps in this. While the current bar is fluctuating you can see what price the bar has to get to in order for that bar to close. According to the rules, I set the pending order with a trigger price 3 ticks below (or 3 ticks above depending which way you are going) of the close of that bar as that should be your entry for a trend using trendcatcher if the chop filter lines up. I go ahead and activate the trigger function.l Remember, it will not execute the order until the indicative market price hits your trigger so it is just pending. Now, as the bar is heading towards its close you should be able to see if the chop filter flips in the direction of the trend. Your entry is 3 ticks past the close of the bar so you should have time to deactivate the trigger function if it does not line up with the chop filter or if it does and you want to enter the trade than you just need to leave it and it will execute when it hits the trigger price.

Once you get in the trade, you need to get ready to get out of the trade whether through a stop loss or a take profit, so what I do is open up two orders and activate the trigger function on both and watch the market. Once it goes in one direction, it will execute one of the orders and you can deactivate the other.

I am sorry if this sounds confusing, but please let me know if you did not understand so I can clarify anything for a better understanding.

To do the trades on futures directly would be better in terms of timing, but then again there are other things to consider such as margin and account size as Darrell has mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Thx. Lionking it is very clear. Let me play with it and I will let you know what other questions pop up. I appreciate your help. Thx.

Which, in essence, is a $35 stop loss.

The trigger price is not a stop loss.

It can be used for entry or for exit.

It is based on the indicative price but the spread price can vary (specifically if your not using close proximity ATM spreads.