26 ticks total with 2 contracts on CL!

Posted in the Elite room:

http://content.screencast.com/users/jamellp/folders/Jing/media/b503f557-0ed2-422e-a100-9a55635811b5/2017-01-10_1051.png

Thanks for posting.

I don’t understand your markings, so I don’t get the locations of entries & exits.

I also don’t get on what basis you’re making your trades.

I understand that CL ticks are .01, so each .1 is ten ticks.

I hope you’ll get a minute to explain.

Thanks so much.

I thought I posted a question or two, but don’t see them. Anyway, I think I figure out what you’re posting. The yellow diamonds are trades. The blue circles the contract exits, each of your trades being for 2 contracts. However, I count around 40 ticks, not 26. So, maybe I’m still somewhat confused. Thanks

It was 26 ticks on the last trade that was taken which is what the post is referring to. I had a total of 64 ticks on the day. I trade 2 contracts. I always take my first contract off at 10 ticks. I use my second contract as a runner or to target a specific price point. My first trade was based off of a fail break out of the chop zone it was in. The second trade was based on divergence to short it back down which turned out to be the breakout of the chop zone. My last entry was based off of divergence with VAD on the pullback to the pink line. Hope that helps.

Thanks. I see the 26 on the last trade, but the short VAD is getting smaller, so I don’t see a valid short like there is for the 2nd trade. On the 1st trade, I don’t see reason for a breakout from chop nor a valid trade, except for the blue up arrow, which, unfortunately, I don’t recall the name of or how important it is as an indicator. Thanks, again.

you have to read the context of the market. So yes, on the last trade selling volume is geting smaller but we’re in a downtrend. I’m looking for a reason to continue to go down. There was a pullback and buying volume divergence which told me that the move down wasn’t quite done yet otherwise the market would have continued to the upside. As far as the first trade, i did force my entry a little late but it worked. If you look at the chart, you will see 2 black lines which outline my range or “chop box”. If you notice, you see that the market went to the bottom of the range but couldn’t push through. It then reversed. That was a sign to me that I should play the bounce and try to get a scalp back to the top of the range. Obviously it didn’t get there but I was able to get 10+ ticks on it. Could’ve gotten a little more but I was late on my entry. The blue and magenta arrows on the chart are not indicators. Those are my entries and exits. Ninjatrader plots those directly on the chart for you if you have that setting turned on.

Fantastic! Thanks so much for your help. I’m sorry if it’s asking a bit much, but since you’ve been so kind in helping me out to move onto live trading soon, I see the Bar Velocity indicator in the SEES template and don’t know of what importance that is. Do you know? I don’t see it in the S6 Indicators. And, did Apex take away the bar size fields in the instrument data series? When I want to open a SEES TF chart, for example, or any other chart for that matter, I don’t see the ability to change bar sizes any longer. This reply is now additionally in reference to your two comments below.

I am referring to the green bars. Yes, they are growing in volume, but when you have a move like that and more buying volume comes in but fails to create a new high, thats considered a form of divergence. A little more advanced of an entry but thats what i meant by " reading the context" of the market. As you can see it pulled back to an area of which some would refer to as “resistance” (notice the pink line) and couldn’t break back through it. This is basically the APEX pattern (creates a low, pulls back, makes a pivot point, and continues down). Though there was slightly more buying volume, it just wasn’t enough to fully reverse the market. Listen, trading goes deeper than indicators. You have to know how to read whats going on. I can see your confusion and can kind of since a manner of saying what I did was wrong, but it wasn’t. I was reading the market. Darrell talks about giving us the ABC’s, but it’s up to us to learn the 123’s. The 123’s are us learning market behavior and why events occur.

Look at this chart. This better explains how you can have more volume and it doesn’t matter. You have to read the context of what the market is doing.

Thanks for this chart to which I expressed my gratitude above. I was still in the middle of editing my comment when you posted the last two explanations. Please note my additional couple of questions above. Thanks, so much!

The bar velocity indicator is to show how fast or slow a bar takes to form. It can be used to identify when chop is happening or preparing yourself for a potential breakout. As far as the bar size fields, that has nothing to do with apex. You choose what type of bar and/or edit your bar size within ninjatrader under the “data series”. When you choose to open a new chart, the data series window will pop up. Thats where you will see the inputs to choose your bar type and size. It’s towards the top of the window. That has never changed.

I thought that the Bar Timer showed how fast the bars form. And, I used to see what you’re showing me, but as I said, my Brick Size and Open & Reversal Percentages are no longer showing, for whatever reason. But, as you said, this is a Ninja issue to figure out with them. Here’s an example of the data I’m seeing, https://www.screencast.com/t/018SFWXs

You’re seeing the right thing you’re just not paying attention to the pic I showed you. Where it says type>minute, you have to choose diagnostic bar. You have to choose the bar type. It doesn’t just show up. Follow the arrows from my pic. That’s it. The bar timer gives you the time it takes to form a bar. The bar velocity shows the speed at which it was formed. Hence the word “velocity”.

I see no difference between speed and time. If I say the speed is 2 mins. or the time it takes is 2 mins., I’ve said the same thing. I’ll hit the magnifying glass or whatever & look at the figures of each indicator & figure it out, thanks. I tried all 3 bar types listed and do NOT get the same thing you’re getting. Look here for yourself, https://www.screencast.com/t/a2M3WnmH

I can’t figure out what the difference is between bar time and bar speed from this data box fromo a SEES chart on which I have both appearing on the bottom, http://www.screencast.com/t/Zg4mTI7BdWD So, if you want to once more try explaining the difference, it’d be appreciated, but I’ll understand if you have other things to do. Be well.

The bar timer is the actual time. The bar velocity lets you measure the speed at which the bar was formed in comparison to the other bars. Speed and time are two different concepts. As far as your pic, you’re still looking at the wrong thing and not following the directions from my pick. You’re choosing the bar type under the wrong setting. Look at my pic again. Your not paying attention. You’re choosing the bar type under “chart style” when you should choose it under “period” @KALL4LESS

Mark Skelton in this video, Diagnostic Bar Timer , explains that the timer shows how long each bar takes to form, which is the same thing as saying the velocity at which it happens, no?

Once again, the bar timer is strictly based on time. The bar velocity plots based on speed. I believe it plots based on ticks per minute

Thanks, this was asked & answered by Darrell in the Forum at Bar Velocity & Bar Timer questions