Flaws With Placing Orders on Futures With Ninjatrader

Hey, I’ve been studying and trading these strategies on Nadex for a while and now Im trying to move into futures as well. I watched all the videos on how to place orders and use the simulated data feed but I came into a very annoying problem when trying to place my orders. I wanted to do a wide profit popper and catch all the momentum scalps in between the E and the X. I watched the videos on how to set up the ATM strategies for the momentum scalps, however the orders seemed to be combining my stop losses and profit targets when entered. (Mind you this is on TF as I used the example in the video)

This was all done on the simulator. At first I would have the ATM strategy set in place and I set a buy stop limit 3 ticks above the P for the profit popper. It entered the atm strategy for a momentum scalp. I then moved my take profit up to the A. The subsequent bar after my entry was a bar that would be a signal for a momentum scalp trade. I set a buy stop limit 3 ticks above that bar, except now, instead of Ninja placing my take profit 11 ticks above that bar for this new order, it combined my take profit with this momentum scalp with the same take profit I had at the A for the profit popper. It also combined my stop loss at where my stop was placed for my profit popper and 3 ticks below the the low of that momentum scalp bar. So I said okay fine and I switched it up a little bit.

Now instead of having my original entry for my profit popper have my ATM strategy active at the time, I turned all of that off. Now when I moved the price down on the simulator to re-approach this, I set my buy stop limit order with my middle click mouse click on the static dom, it was triggered and I manually set my stop and take profit with a sell limit order (3 ticks below the P for the stop, High of the A for the take profit). Then for the momentum scalp coming up on the subsequent bar, I changed everything back to the ATM strategy for momentum scalps. I set my buy stop limit for the momentum scalp with my middle mouse click and when it triggered, the profit target and stop loss were set differently than the trade I had going for my profit popper. And here I thought cool I was in the clear because now I had my profit popper take profit and stop loss set differently than the take profit and stop loss of my momentum scalp… But then when I was trying to grab the next momentum scalp on the bar after the first momentum scalp, it combined the stop loss and take profit with the first momentum scalp.

So now at this point, im starting to go a little crazy because it seems like you cant grab consecutive momentum scalps with the ATM strategy because they keep combining the take profit and stop loss. It seems like you can only activate another ATM that would set a separate take profit and stop loss from the first one after the first one has been exited for the take profit or stop loss. This would equate to only being able to grab every other momentum scalp instead of them consecutively because if you’re going each bar, it’ll combine the contracts on stop loss and take profit and if the market is flying in your favor, you’ll never be able to move your target and stop loss it in time. So what ends up happening is that you get profit taken for 1 and a half momentum scalps instead of 2.

My question then becomes if the programming for the ATM strategy doesn’t allow for subsequent momentum scalps to be taken practically, how would you take each one in a practical way? Because if the market is flying in your favor, I dont know if Apex members just have fast hands to be able to keep manually setting take profits and stop losses (without an ATM strategy) for each one but for me atleast, it seems hard to manage when the market is moving all over the place. I mean are we just basically limited to doing everything manually, or is there a way to edit settings in the ATM strategy so that the stops and take profits are considered separate orders at different price levels so they dont combine on your chart? Or to grab each momentum scalp, do we absolutely have to manually put in the orders and stop loss / take profit of each subsequent bar?

See this post

http://apexinvesting.net/forum/momentum-scalps-262/apex-momentum-scalp-system-rules-atm-strategy-setup-1405-page2.html#post6418

You need to change ATM selection mode to KeepSelectedAtmStrategyTemplateOnOrderSubmission, but worth watching the videos and reading that whole thread to understand the other settings.

Yeah I watched that video. I must have missed that step! thank you!

See the forum on it for more details and questions… there are some suttle details on different instruments… and depending on how your doing them…
http://apexinvesting.net/forum/momentum-scalps-262/apex-momentum-scalp-system-rules-atm-strategy-setup-1405.html#.VD1skPl318E

Note do this setting as well for doing multiple momentum scalps at once on the same instrument: (find this note on that link that is probably what is causing the issue.