Margin requirements

The first image below shows a ticket (after clicking the open trade) to close the 3 open buy contracts at market price (34.50). The Max Profit/Loss boxes show a dollar amount of $0. Thus, I’m not required to put up any margin to execute this trade.

The next image shows a ticket to close the same 3 open buy contracts at a higher price (40) than the market price. The Max Profit/Loss boxes are each automatically filled with a dollar amount. Does this mean I am required to have $180.00 in my account balance as margin to execute this close-out trade? My thinking was that I would only have to put up margin for any contract amounts beyond the amount I am closing out. In other words, simultaneously executing a take-profit on any open contracts and executing a new trade on contracts in the opposite direction.

If I am required to have margin at a higher take profit then I would be incapable of executing the trade if I don’t have the required amount in my account balance and would only be able to close out the trade at market price. I hope this is not the case.

The system is smart enough to know that you are closing the trade. Ignore the max profit/loss when closing a trade the “margin” is not factored in for balance required when closing a trade as you already have put up the max margin to open the position.

Thank you Darrell.