Questions about content of Data Box

Listened to a webinar last night but still don’t understand how to know what the expected move is. Looking at the data box I actually have no clue what for example Panel 3 means. 1. Alarm 2. Expected 3. From Low 4. From High Is there an explanation somewhere for the contents of the data box and how to figure them out? Looking at my chart of TF for example I don’t know what the numbers on the right hand represent. Thank you if you can help me and sorry if this seems to be a duh question.

Heidi - first, there are no duh questions… my first question to Darrell was what exactly does P/L mean???

The expected move is nothing more than how far we “expect” the market to move in a given period of time. Most times, as you can see, is that it is fairly accurate. But, since the market is going to do what it is going to do, sometimes it will go outside the expected range. When you look at a chart, the times it goes outside the expected move is a lot less than when it stays in.

How to figure out the data box:

1. the label at the top of whatever panel you are looking at refers to the panel in your Ninjatrader chart where the data is coming from. It also has a the name of the indicator or data series right under panel. 2014-07-22_1124 - dca78_00’s library http://screencast.com/t/5Gj1kslC

2. If you right click on your NT charts and open your indicators, there is a little dialog box on the lower right that has a description of what each alarm is, highlighted here: indicator - dca78_00’s library http://screencast.com/t/eoIm2nwz

Hope this helps… Happy trading!!! Brad

data box.PNG (8.0 KB)

Brad that is funny i totally forgot you asked me what P/L was… Wow you are like light years from that now doing whole optimization back test systems design and more :slight_smile: Very cool!

Heidi

We have 2 things to help us on this

Make things easy don’t worry about the numbers on the right hand of the chart. In fact i suggest you go into each indicator settings and turn them off and only leave price but that is up to you

1 We have the daily deviation levels (ie we expect the market to move 1 deviation … either to the + 1deviation to the - 1deviation or the the 1 deviation high to low (shown in the @ deviation indicator with the black line where the 1 is) and the red is how far the market has moved up from the low and the green histogram being how much the marked has moved down from the high) [red from low - green from high]

2 We have the expected range indicator - it plots the channel boxes the green and red box - ie on every hour - it shows you the expected move from the open of the hour to how high up it will go - or how low down we expect the market to go - and the low historgram works similar to the @ deviation indicator in that it measures the high to low move in that hour - so if the expected move on the exepoected range indicator (orange line) is say 15 ticks - there will be a green channel 15 ticks up from the opening price of that hour, a red channel down 15 ticks from the open of that hour - the orange line will be at 15

(ie if you click on your middle mouse button while putting it over the orange line you will see a reading of 15 ticks - the red will be how far it has moved up from the low - the green how far it has moved down from the high -

(if you click middle mouse button you will see expected, and how far from high it has moved on that bar for that hour, and how far from the low it has moved on that bar for that hour -

you will also see this information in the data box (click the magnifying glass at top of chart to bring up the data box resize it - and you can see any panels and their data for any indicators where you have the option in the indicator selected to show that data in the data box

so how far will the market moved for ie an hour if you have 60 minutes in the expected range indicator will be the orange line’s level ie if it says 16 ticks then the expected hi to low move for that hour is 16 ticks

make sure to watch the expected range tutorials etc… under study - or under the indicator course

let me know what other questions you have and what is still not clear