TC and trading around big news

If I was to trade around big news with TC, in other words, to want to be out of the market directly before the news announcement, then enter as the market calms down slightly after the news has already come out (because I don’t want to play the crazy game of having on a position AS the news comes out), when is a good time to have all of my orders and positions off of the market? I figure 30 minutes before?

Josh

It doesn’t even have to be that long… You can look at most news events and even within 3 min going in , its calm (a lot of times Butterfly calm). After, I’d say 15-30 min for most news. Things like FOMC or Elections seem to have longer effects. IMHO.

I agree with Looyville here.

For me, often times I don’t even pay attention to the news and just trade the system and I am doing ok. Maybe I should pay attention to the news more? Challenge and grow my trading, I think I am just being lazy and not at least checking the news. LOL

I don’t know if you are trading the EU? I know that yesterday, when the news came out for Core Retail at 830, The EU started moving really quickly, busted through a stop that I had, and continued in a trend that was too fast for me to catch. I knew that it was coming out, I had looked at the news plan, but couldn’t react well to it. Not really a big deal, came back from the stoploss quite quickly with the rest of the moves that it made that I could catch, just trying to button down all of my trading rules, and get them all set for trading in bigger percentages of my account.

I am not in the habit of trading Forex pairs. But I will generally agree that knowing what news is coming is far better than being a lazy person like myself and not paying attention at all. :smile:

You are doing the right thing Yoshi. :smile:

All of my trading is in the forex pairs, as forex is the level of account that I can afford! 8^) I can trade TC in forex pairs the same way that they do in futures, with the risk level much, much lower… The lowest level that you can go that I know of in futures is 5$ a tick, but I can take that risk down to 10 cents per tick. Now, I can play with the big boys. 8^)

I hear you. I usually trade the NQ or TF futures. Darrell has also turned me on to the DX. I should probably trade some Forex, I wouldn’t mind trading something that is more like $2 or $3 dollars a tick that is not Nadex Spreads and I can use ATM and chart trader with. :smile:

If you wamt $2 or $3 a tick then check out spot fx.

Exactly! Thanks Darrell!