Tech Issues turned a winning trade into a losing trade

Nadex had some kind of problem with their platform today; 4/29/15. The problem occurred between 2 pm and 3 pm EST. I had a profitable trade that was set to expire at 3 pm. I had about 70% of my potential profit with 20 minutes until expiration. I tried to close out the position but my order wasn’t posting on their website. I tried to close out the trade 4 times but nothing happened. The order didn’t show up in working orders either. I called Nadex and was told they are having tech problems so don’t try to place a trade. I sat and watched my trade. When there was maybe 10 minutes left, the open positions box showed that I had 3 short positions which I didn’t want. These were the result of my failed attempts to close this trade. This happened once before. Thank God I’m still only in demo but I have to assume that I will run into similar problems in live trading.

I have two questions:

1. What can I do to protect myself in this type of situation?

2. Who is accountable? I don’t feel that I should have to lose money for something that isn’t my fault. I mean what could I have done?

1 look at your order history and or emails. If the order you submitted is there dont submit it again.

1. Understand all exchanges have disclaimers about techincal issues being possible risk. That being said if it was a live trade and the same day asap call and email to them detailing the issue and request a adjustment to be made to the account.