What does "proximity" mean and why is it different on the new scanner from the old one?

One of our users sent a message to the help desk and we thought it would benefit everyone if we shared it.

And in watching in real time ( both scanners ), One main question still came to mind, And that is …

The correct way to interpret the proximities, and to make sure that I am doing the calculations on them correctly

So if Using the Older version Spread Scanner … do you just take the number that is listed under the Proximity and multiply that number by .1 ( No matter what market you are looking at correct ) ? So whether it’s ES and NQ, GC , CL, YM or ZS that has say a 10 as it’s proximity … each of these symbols Proximities = 1 Point ( on the Underlying Futures market of each of them ) ? ES and NQ …OLD SCANNER this would mean that a 1 point move is needed ( 10 x .1 ) , which you are just moving the decimal one place over to the right ? NEW SCANNER this would be 2.5 points ( 10 divided 4 = 2.5 ) So for Gold … OLD SCANNER this would mean that a .10 cent move is needed ( 10 x .01 ) , which you are just moving the decimal 2 places over to the right …since GC trades in hundreths ? NEW SCANNER this would calculated by … taking the 10 and dividing it by GC’s Point Value of $100 = .10 ? For CL … OLD SCANNER this would be a .01 cent move that is needed ( 10 x .001 ) , since CL trades in thousandths ? NEW SCANNER this would be calculated by … taking the 10 and dividing it by CL’s Point Value of $1,000 = .01 ? For YM … OLD SCANNER and NEW SCANNER this would mean that a 10 point move is needed 10 x 1 ) , since each point on YM is just that , 1 point … 1 to 1 via the Nadex contract and the YM future contract itself ? For ZC … OLD SCANNER this would mean that a .05 cent move is needed ( 10 x .005 ), since ZC trades in thousands ? NEW SCANNER this would be calculated by … taking the 10 and dividing it by ZC’s Point Value of $5,000 = .05 ?

I hope that my question makes sense smile I want to make sure, that I understand the exact point and ticks that each Future has to move via the proximity, so I can know that If I enter a trade and the 1 standard deviation level and or that days ADR-high price level are 5 points above my entry … if the proximity allows for me to make a profit , or if there’s just to much proximity to " Overcome " and therefore… it’s not worth me even placing the trade.

An example would be: I get an entry to go long on NQ , and the ADR-HIGH and 1 standard deviation level are both 10 points above, from the point that I enter the trade ( so a likely point in which the trade would stop from going any higher ). I enter the trade, and have my stop at 5 points below my entry , and I always want to have a good likeliehood of making 2 -3 times my risk ( which would be a profit target of 10 - 15 points )

So, if I then go and look over at the spreads, I can automatically disregard those with Proximities of … 75 - 100 ( on the Old scanner ) OR 30 - 40 ( on the New scanner ). As this would not allow me to have a chance of making a profit of " at least " twice what I’m risking on the trade ( due to where I placed my stop on the actual NQ Future chart )… there is just to much in terms of proximity for the spread to overcome , before I’d start to make a profit.

Hopefully my question(s) and examples make sense, and can also help others who may have been wondering the same thing Thanks so much - Michael

Darrell responded with:

The calculations are done for you, so there is no interpretation needed.

Do not look at the old scanner, because it is “old” :slight_smile: and is about to be decommissioned. There is literally no benefit to using it at this point.

The old scanner used nadex ticks to calculate proximity from the underlying market (spot forex or future) ie .1 on US Tech 100 was used for proximity versus .25 from NQ

We do not look at “indicative” tick size we look at spread tick size. We have never looked at indicative tick size as it is an average pricing formula with rounding.

The new scanner uses Underlying ticks to calculate proximity of the contract from the nadex INDICATIVE. It uses future tick sizes - ie on NQ .25 versus .1 on US Tech 100

CL, YM, & GC all have the same tick size on nadex for the spreads and underlying, so the numbers are all the same, but we also use the indicative on the new scanner versus futures so that is why it may differ.
CL is .01 (pennies not 1,000s) same on nadex and underlying
GC is .1 same on nadex and underlying
YM is 1 same on nadex and underlying
ZC, ZS, NQ, ES all tick in .25 on the futures underlying not .005)- they all tick in .1 on nadex

Before 10 meant 1.0 in underlying; now 4 proximity means 1.0 in underlying.

The underlying tick size is listed on the top of the new scanner in the instrument title area. That number times proximity ticks is the distance of spread price or binary strike from the nadex indicative.

This is the same new and old.

I hope that answers your questions.

In short, stop looking at the old scanner. A lot of improvements have been made :slight_smile: