When to trade Classic vs P123? Look for exceeding volume!

Hi,

I heard some pretty great advice recently from DM and Aust about boomerang focusing on when to do either Classic or P123. The focus in a nutshell comes down to expected volume, and whether or not it is exceeding.

Have you noticed sometimes that P123 (as in P1 P2 and P3 trades) will rock in the AM but are sometimes a little tough to find in the afternoons? Or have you maybe noticed that Classics are a little dramatic in the AM but rather more reliable in the afternoons? Have a look at some charts and mark up in a day where the classics work and where the P123 work, and compare the expected volume.

As soon as the P123 came out, all of my focus went to that. I pretty much abandoned the classics, maybe you had too. Having that confirmation is great, but opening up to classics brings in a lot more trades.

Lesson: Read the markets, and use the tools available in the right way. When volume is rocking, exceeding for the like the past 5 bars or thereabouts, this is a perfect time for P123 as there is a lot of movement going on. P123 use confirmation with volume, so if you have it use it. Then comes lunch or 2PM or something, the market is just going back and forth taking its sweet time, instead of wishing you could enter all these P2 trades that arent qualifying or worse yet trying to force them or bend/break the rules just to trade, this is a great time for classics. Watch that ER indicator, draw an austin box and play the channels. Use them for what they are designed for. I “stepped back” and opened up my perspective like this in the past couple days and it’s helped a lot.

Rob

Great post and great suggestion! I will incorporate this into my trading routine.

I’m so glad you took the time to write this up. It is super helpful.

We know Classic boomers rock. We know that the P1, P2, P3 system rocks. What you might not know is WHY they work. As with any system you choose to follow, you should take a step back and test it. Figure out they “whys”. Then you can apply the “whens”

Why do they work?

Classic boomers work because we expect oscillation in the market. We have Expected Ranges to use a a guide. P1, P2, & P3’s work because we have volume confirming direction. We have Expected Volume and price action to use as guides.

Now we need to know the “when”.

Well, when we expect the market to oscillate, use classics. i.e., When there’s not a whole lot of volume, we expect it to just bounce around. When we expect it to actually move, we use P1, P2, & P3. i.e., higher volatile times, volume has been exceeding all day long, news announcements.

Bottom line…

If volume has been exceeding with just about every bar all day long… it’s probably not a good idea to hop in on classics. If volume has only been exceeding like every five bars or so, Classics will rock the house down.

Thanks again, Doppel.

Great post!!!

I would add one note… P2’s often work better in low volume environments as well (meaning not as many are exceeding obviusly some are on your entry signal). P1’s and P3’s work better in high volume environments.

Dopple, thanks for the post!