Apex MVP Crossover System for NQ and ES

Apex is all about traders helping traders. One of our traders developed a simply 2 market 1 signal per market a day trading system using the Apex Toolkit that has worked excellent for him and has been kind to share it and post his trades and charts in the elite room each day. All systems have to be refined to communicate them. I have learned this a lot over the years.

So I got a base of the rules Steve uses and posted them here. I have also posted questions I already have answers for and posted a serious of other questions I or other traders have had.

Once these are done I will clean up this post with more precise rules addressing the system.

Steve thank you again for taking the time to share with other members and welcome to the Apex Alliance Team

1. Enter at close of bar on MVP set up or break out ( not between unless have unemployment and non - farm payroll news in same direction and all entry signals line up)

2. Confluence all red or all green.

3. Top line ( red or green) at at least 10 degree angle up. Bottom line pointed down or horizontal.

4. When there is a high impact news day only trade after news comes out not before it.

5. If have entry signal at close of 9:30 candle, can take trade if trend in same direction of trade.

6. SL 26 ticks below entry.

7. YM – when reach the nearest deviation level and 10 min bar closed above, go to BE, when reach next deviation level and 10 min bar closes above , 5 tick under for SL.

8. NQ – When 10 min bar closes above nearest 10 min deviation level,5 ticks under for SL.

9. Only take first trade opportunity for each per day.

10. If Dow moves is beyond expectations for any day, I don’t trade the following day – usually choppy.

11. Never trade after FOMC day.

12. Take long entries the day before holidays: ie wed before Thanksgiving, - Christmas Eve - Christmams and New Years Eve/or last trading day of the year.

A few questions already answered:

1. 10 Degrees is relative based on zoom…how is this defined:

A) Not the same as previous plot and not lower than the previous plot but above the previous plot on the deviation crossover line.

1. What bars is this done on?

A) 10 Minutes

1. Can it be done on different bar sizes or types?

A) Not tested Don’t Know Feel Free To Test And Share Results

1. What about different instruments? A) Not tested Don’t Know Feel Free To Test and Share Results

2. Can this be done on binaries and spreads? A) Sure it can but have to apply rules based on contracts chosen. Test it out and share results.

Rule 4) Trade Only After news - What do you define as a news event?

Rule 5) You can take it if in the same direction as a trend… Can you please let us know how you define a trend? MVP color or?

Rule 5) If entry at 9:30… Exactly at 9:30 or anytime after 9:30?

Is there a cut off time?

Assuming 9:30 AM ET

Do you enter intra bar or only on a bar close after 9:30?

Stop Loss is 26 ticks below entry on both YM and NQ?

Also why 26… is this simply what you have found to be effective (which is not a bad answer but worth asking)?

Or is it because we use 26 tick bars on the elite strategy?

If this is the case should we use 14 on NQ as we use 14 on the elite strategy on NQ… or is this not correlated?

1. You take 2 trades max a day first signal on each. Trail trades entered when stopped out then done. If no signal than potentially 0 trades correct?

Rule 11) FOMC Days - do you include both interest rate decision only, AND interest rate and press conference combination days (as these days can differ)?

Do you include FOMC minutes release days?

Rule) 12 what about days after holidays ie Friday after thanksgiving

Chart Setup: Only indicators are mvp, MVP confluence, deviation levels, and deviation crossovers on 10 min bars in nq and ym right?

I have a number of questions- I duplicated the chart that Steve uses and the MVP signal was on the 9:10 bar and the green line was pointed up and the red down at that time. He did not take the trade until 9:40.

Did he wait because he only trades during market hours- or because he was waiting on a break below the MVP setup bar?

His rule 1 says to enter at the close of the bar on the MVP set-up bar or break out- those are 2 different bars- which does he use?

if he uses either- how does he decide which to use?

Below is the image of his setup- the dotted vertical line shows where the green and red lines are relative to the MVP signal. Thanks for the sharing your system.

2014-05-21_0923 - hhoeschen’s library

FOMC statement, FOMC minutes, non-farm payroll, ISM non-manufacturing PMI, pending home sales, Fed intensifies, fed speaks, I would only trade after these news events.

By only after the events Steve means that WHEN these events are being released he will wait until they are released before he will place a trade. He is not stating that he does not take trades if these news events are not happening

I define a trend as what general direction the market have moved from 4:15pm to 9:30am

[quote=darrell]Rule 5) If entry at 9:30… Exactly at 9:30 or anytime after 9:30?

Is there a cut off time?

Assuming 9:30 AM ET

Do you enter intra bar or only on a bar close after 9:30?[/quote]

Entry at the close of the 9:30 bar --right at 9:30am ET – all entries are on bar close not on intra bar.

[quote=darrell]Stop Loss is 26 ticks below entry on both YM and NQ?

Also why 26… is this simply what you have found to be effective (which is not a bad answer but worth asking)?

Or is it because we use 26 tick bars on the elite strategy?

If this is the case should we use 14 on NQ as we use 14 on the elite strategy on NQ… or is this not correlated?[/quote]

yes SL 26 ticks on both YM and because was stopped out a lot by one tick with 25 pt. – only reason

I have not tested 14 – but is worth a try

Yes correct. 2 trades max means one trade for YM and one for NQ.

[quote=darrell]Rule 11) FOMC Days - do you include both interest rate decision only, AND interest rate and press conference combination days (as these days can differ)?

Do you include FOMC minutes release days?[/quote]

Any day that has to do with FOMC always trade after that news on same day is have a trade.

day after FOMC announcement – I will not trade but after FOMC minutes can trade day after.

Days after Christmas and Thanksgiving I usually don’t trade. Any trading day before holiday’s where you have that holiday being a closed day for trading – I will only take long trades --(most of these days indices go up) – A perfect example would be last Friday 5/24 Friday before memorial day. Holidays where the market is open – St Patrick’s day, Valentines Day, I will only take long trades as well. I would not take only long trades on the days before these days.

Yes include all levels plus settlement. Yes NQ has trailing stop – 5 ticks under first 10 min candle closes above first dev level crossed for long visa versa short. With NQ works better to lock in profits quickly because more volatile No take profit levels – try and let run as long as can.