What is it, and why do I need the Bar Style Indicator

What is the bar style indicator and why do I need it?

The new bar types, Continuum and Shadow, now require the bar style indicator. When opening up a new chart, if you have not added it, you will be prompted to add this indicator. It is recommended you add this indicator to your default chart template so when you build charts you wont have to remember to add it. (You can do this by starting a new chart, putting in the bar type you want to use, add ONLY the bar style settings indicator and then save template as default.) Next time you open a new chart it will be there automatically.

NOTE: Other types of bars, such as diagnostic and minute, do not require the Bar Style indicator and if it is in the chart, the settings will be ignored. Those settings will be adjusted in the data series like they always have been.

The Bar Style Setting Indicator will let you change colors, tick widths and bar style ( OHLC or candle) for the Continuum or Shadow bars. It also allows you to choose if you want the shadow automatic or manual and the size of the shadow which will allow you to set the “shadow” on a bar to smooth it out visually more like a diagnostic bar or just fill in the bar and turn the shadow off.

You can edit the shadow that is drawn by changing it from automatic to manual. This can be used to help you have a visual stop or smoother bar. If you want your shadow bar to look like a classic 12 tick diagnostic bar for example, you set the shadow to manual and 12. This will emulate a classic diagnostic bar i.e., 12 ticks for a 12 tick normal diagnostic bar. The screen shot shows you how this would look.

You can make the shadow smaller or larger to fit your needs. You can set to automatic and 0 if you want to turn off the shadows completely. This would simply color in the bar with no shadow showing at all.

Shadow bars explained and how to make adjustments